Compassionate & Dedicated Los Angeles Injury Attorney for Spinal Cord Injury Cases
Despite our advancements in medicine and physical rehabilitation, spine and spinal cord injuries continue to have a devastating, life-altering impact on the victims who endure them. In many cases, a victim of spine or spinal cord injury will suffer reduced mobility or paralysis throughout his or her life, requiring lifelong medical attention and rehabilitation as well as an impact on their ability to work and overall earning capacity. Common causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Car, truck, and motorcycle accidents
- Violent fights, attacks and/or crimes (gunshot wounds are second only to motor vehicle accidents in causing spinal cord injury, and stabbing and other violent acts also cause spinal cord injuries)
- Recreational and sporting accidents
At the Law Office of Tal Rubin, PC in Los Angeles, we take the time to understand the lifetime costs faced by a person living with spinal cord injury, and we work to prepare and present a compelling case for the full amount of legal damages available.
What Damages are Available in a Spinal Cord Injury Case?
If a victim has suffered spine or spinal cord injury due to the negligent, reckless, or intentional acts of another, that victim is entitled to recover the full range of damages suffered over the course of their lifetime, including:
- Past and future medical costs, including physical rehabilitation
- Costs of in-home care and equipment, including the costs of nurses, motorized wheelchairs and specially-designed vehicles
- Cost of psychological care for dealing with the emotional trauma of suffering a spinal cord injury
- Pain and suffering endured throughout a lifetime
- Lost income and any lost earning potential in a given career affected by the victim’s reduced physical mobility and dexterity
- Loss of consortium
- Punitive damages in some cases
What Must I Prove to Win Damages in a Spinal cord Injury Case?
As is the case with most personal injury cases, a plaintiff who has suffered a spine or spinal cord injury will be required to show that the defendant owed him or her a legal duty to act in a reasonable manner, the defendant breached this duty, and this breach directly or indirectly caused the plaintiff’s spinal cord injury. The party whose actions directly caused the victim’s spinal cord injury may be liable, but, in addition, other parties who breached their legal duty to protect the plaintiff from spinal cord injury may also be liable. A few examples of these might include:
- A store that failed to install lighting in a parking lot to prevent a nighttime violent attack, resulting in spinal cord injury
- A university that allowed a football player to practice without the proper safety equipment, resulting in spinal cord injury
- A trucking company that employed a trucker involved in a trucking accident causing the driver of a passenger of a car to suffer spinal cord injuries
- A ski resort that failed to properly maintain its skiing and snowboarding equipment, resulting in spinal cord injury
Proving the full range of damages described above can also be incredibly challenging, since there are many challenges faced and costs incurred over a lifetime of living with spinal cord injury. We work with medical professionals, economists and life care planners as necessary to present a complete picture that justifies the compensation we are seeking on your behalf.
Work with the Law Office of Tal Rubin, PC to Bring Your Southern California Spinal Cord Injury Claim
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury because of another’s negligence or misconduct, call the Law Office of Tal Rubin, PC in Los Angeles at 818-986-9030 for a free consultation. We serve clients throughout southern California, and there is no fee unless we can recover for you.